Our School's History
St. Joseph Catholic School officially opened its doors in 1826. The log church was used for a school between 1826 and 1828. Mademoiselle Schane, a sister from Detroit, Michigan, came here to teach in the school. The school was discontinued in the spring of 1828.
St. Joseph Catholic School Through the Years
Father Henry Rievers
Father Henry Rievers made a second attempt at parochial education in 1855. The Sister Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, IHM Sisters of Monroe, Michigan, staffed the two-story frame building until 1859 when the school was abruptly closed.
Father Emil Wolstyn
Father Emil Wolstyn erected a convent and school in 1914 at the present site. Three expansions took place in succeeding years due to population growth. The high school had its first graduating class in June 1919.Since the greatest number of graduates in any one year was eight, the high school was discontinued after seventeen years. The last class graduated in 1932. In 1971, the elementary school was closed due to financial difficulties.
Father Robert Haener
Due to the efforts of dedicated people wanting a Catholic school in the area, Father Robert Haener reopened the school in 1979 with classes for Kindergarten through Grade 2. The Sisters of Notre Dame from Toledo, Ohio, staffed the school and have continued to do so until the present. Each following year found another grade added. This yearly expansion continued until there were Kindergarten to Grade 8 classes. A PreKindergarten was added in 1986 and a PreSchool was added in 1992. A gymnasium and dining hall were added to the school in 1994.
St. Joseph Catholic School is a Catholic community that helps all persons grow to the fullness of their potential in faith and knowledge.